Saturday, September 16, 2006

runningNOMORE

Why I have long feared the pursuit of my creative problem solving abilities as they relate to design…

I did not want to spend my time creating letterheads, logos, or business cards or create attention for things that do not matter. I looked at the design industry and saw a “profession [who’s] time and energy [was] used up manufacturing demand for things that are inessential at best.” I saw a trade that would demand I pour myself into useless endeavors. But I want to pour my creative problem solving abilities into those things that have meaning. I want to create demand for issues effecting the human experience and quality of life. The "pursuits of life, love, and happiness" I will not give a chance in hell, rather the pursuits of justice, relieving the oppressed, defending the orphans, and pleading the cases of the widows. “Social Marketing” is what I think it’s called. I was unaware such a thing existed until I saw an advertising campaign, commissioned by Amnesty International, creating demand for actions against human rights violations. Then I learned about Kalle Lasn and Tibor Kalman, who have shown me more is possible with “a special breed of people with a special breed of brain.”


So with this new understanding I am pursuing a job at an art college who shares an equal understanding of the importance of design. The school is Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. My hope is to secure a full-time job and begin attending classes in an evening program called “Art Center at Night.” The college was the first school of design appointed by the UN to be among official NGO (non-governmental organization) UN partners. In awarding this status, the UN recognized that designers are key contributors to the creation of our human environment, and that as drivers of innovation they can make a lasting difference in people’s lives.

Please join me in this adventure by regularly visiting my blog and sharing your commentary on my thoughts, or simply stop by regularly to say hello. I’ve learned the importance of friends and family over the past year. It does wonders just to know someone is listening –I think it reminds us that we are not a lone.

May we enjoy this adventure of learning about design and creating demand for social justice together.

Relevant Links:
Art Center College of Design
article about Tibor Kalman
Kalle Lasn's work
Amnesty Intl. Ad Campaign

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all..congratulations! On figuring out what you want/are meant to do! Second...GOOD LUCK! In making that dream become a reality. You have my support and of course my love!
~Steph

From Christopher:
Good luck unncle kent!
(he'll get those L's one of these days)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I believe those things we loose time doing are the very things we were "meant to do" (if your world view or outlook on life permits such language, if not then I say it is the very best of things you can make a reality). Where those things we lose time doing intersect with the needs of this world; there we can find the best investment of our time.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I pray that God makes your life into the artwork it was destined to be soon.

Fred Wolfe

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clint after reading your post I can't help but instantly feel gratitude for your recent moves in life and work. I'm not your dad, but I want to say that I'm so proud of you--your diligent seeking turned finding is an inspiration to me.
God bless you.
Tony

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I'm talking about.

Clint + passion + education + a little bit of insulin to keep things balanceed = WORLD CHANGER!

I am proud of you, and look forward to changing the world with you.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I finally got to read this:) That's so exciting, and that school looks really neat. I admire your drive and passion for using your gifts to reach others. Wanting to use your problem solving skills for things that have meaning is and knowing what your passion to create is for is so very exciting! That's one thing I've learned how important it really is the past few months! In God's time, I will find a new job and praying He continues to lead me to know exactly where I can best use my talents to reach others.

Thanks for the encouraging blog, congratulations & keep me posted!

Oh, and I'm sure before you know it, you'll be ready to 'take over' the world, I'm still dedicated to my roll in that...whatever it takes... haha...:)

Carla, aka "C-Money"

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey clint, you came as a "roadie" to my high school in Maryland back in April, and i just somehow found your blog when looking through myspaces and such. i'm really glad that i did stumble upon your thoughts because i feel the same way about my education- i just wonder what i'll be doing with a management degree, or if International Relations will really help me get to Africa and do work there. I'm actually just giving it up to God, so i'm not quite worried.

But anyway, keep up with the posts and I hope the best for you.

Lissa

7:24 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

so jealous of you brother. we all talk about wanting to change the world for the better, few of us take the steps to do so. thank you for doing what i only dream of doing.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home