Sunday, August 13, 2006

funding_theREVOLUTION


1_To the non-profits out there: what if we created sustainable solutions to our funding nightmares? How great would it be to not worry about developing donor buy-in? What if we spent some energy and money on creative ways to provide jobs and fund our revolution? I recently read an article about such an idea and I'm curious to know your thoughts. (link is at the end of this post)

2_To those with heart beats: i am sleeping on the floor of a friend's house and i had a gnarly biking accident that destroyed three of my toes -don't worry mom:) they're doing fine, i'm surfing again and the toes are almost good as new- the accident however has become quite the catalyst for opening my eyes. b/c of it i've been in the house unable to go anywhere on my own and hours at work have been slim to none. a totally demeaning experience to not be able to take yourself anywhere, to not have enough money to pay some bills, and to be unable to get jobs you know you're totally qualified for...basically just no dignity at all in life when you work your ass off but see no payoff for your efforts. the rad thing is that i have been able to internalize these feelings and really "walk a mile in some else's shoes." i learned how to pray those days i found myself stuck in the house alone. i began to ask God to provide jobs for those who needed them, to walk along side those in need, b/c i suddenly found myself seeing life from that perspective.

3_compassion and pop: did you know the hebrew concept of compassion literally means to suffer with. so when i was suffering within my circumstances He was there suffering with me; and when it says God hears our cries, has compassion on us, and answers from heaven it means He not only heard us but He was suffering right along side us the whole time. I'm not sure what all that means but i think an understanding of who God really is, not the image our culture (which is built around economic gain) and pop-christianity (which is the exact opposite of the beatitudes, and more an image and a system of economic gain and Pharisaic rule followers than a system based on love and wholeness) give us, but who He really is and who His followers really were could be a good thing to understand.

4_so what i'm doing now: i turned in an application for the next IC tour. i accepted a job offer to teach elementary kids in a low-income after school program and i interview aug.15 for a part-time gig helping REI build relationships with non-profits in the community and scheduling events. i really desire to live in community with people and to befriend those on the outside, the marginalized i guess is the academic term. i long for the days when my love for people and God is so great that i become among the marginalized. if you can there is an essay i'm going to read called "Embezzlement: The Corporate Sin of Contemporary Christianity?" I would really like to read this and discuss it with some of you. it is an examination of how local congregations in the early church spent their money and the implications for us today. I haven't read it yet but I think this is a good place to start taking a look at the earliest congregations so we can gain a clearer or more pure picture of just who these followers of the Way really were and possibly gain a better picture of Hashem. I have given you a link to this article if you'd like to read it. Maybe you could print it out and read it and we could share our thoughts on it...

5_comments on street signs and life: a friend once shared that the street signs may change but nothing really changes unless the inside changes. i've learned to embrace wholeness but i'm still not sure what my vocation or holly calling is but have suspicion its different than what i could ever imagine. maybe our culture has had it wrong our whole lives. what if a vocation isn't really a career but a way of life. what would happen if we started to live life where we were? what if we stopped trying to offer something to people and simply started to experience life with those around us? what if we're really not supposed to seek "God's will for our lives" but simply called to LIVE life and let wholeness be His will for our lives.

Reminder you can leave your comments by clicking on the "comments" link at the bottom of each post...if you don't have an account with blogger just select anonymous and you'll have to select post twice (the first time is to log in as anonymous and the second time is to post your comment).

Relevant Links:
  • non-prof funding article
  • Embezzlement Essay
  • Ernesto 'Che' Guevara
  • 3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The words you wrote and the articles you reccomended are encouraging to let me know that I'm not alone in the way I perceive the life God wants me to live.

    I just graduated college, Friday actually with a degree I do not plan to do. My family expected me to continue on to a masters degree. But though it maybe the "smart" thing for me to do, I knew it wasn't the right thing.
    I recently spent time at a monastery on a solitude retreat. My mind is easily clogged with everything the world screams at you about prosperity and sucess. After witnessing the simplistic lifestyle of the monks and the extreme servitude they have for everyone they encounter, I knew that a simple way of life is possible and that to live any other way, would seperate myself from the souls of my brothers and sisters. I came back to my home, refreshed and scared. But my fear was soon taken. I didn't know what I was going to do, until a friend of mine Valerie from IC called about helping out with the next tour. She asked me if I was going to apply and then I knew, yeah I am. Until then I hope that I don't put barriers between myself and those around me. My friends and I, or I guess just me right now, are planning to go down to Little Rock and spend a week on the streets, to befriend and love those that may know the joy that God wants for us all.

    I don't know why I shared this with you, being that I don't really know who you are. I guess to see someone's living is a blessing.

    "Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus. " Mother Teresa

    ---Another person trying to Live

    12:38 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Bro Clint. Rest easy my brother. Surf in the breeze. Bike ride smooth down hills topple over provide thrills and splat. Our God spoke to you. I'm hearing what you're saying. I'm picking up what you're putting down and I'm putting down "glamourous" jobs in the "kingdom of god" to live wholeness as a will of life. I'm praying to walk forward in dark places with only the Holy Spirit shining like a beacon within. I'm picking up what you're laying down. Our God, this God, is big and sustainable, the goals we set are atainable and if we die...so...what. we must die striving to end what was started when Satan fell crying like lightening crashing to the earth when wrongs began righting and the Lord Jesus gave praise to God. "rejoice not that spirits obey you but that your names are written in heaven" LIVE! LIVE! LIVE! My brother LIVE! I'm LIVING too!

    CFarmer

    7:17 PM  
    Blogger Taylor said...

    Hey dude,
    Thanks for the post. I responded to you by posting on my own blog, because I liked what you said. I wanted to keep our conversation over there, so people could keep up with it.
    Question: how did the August 15th interview go? Talk to you soon.
    -Taylor

    2:01 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home